A Level English
A Level English Literature
*Please note that these text choices are provisional and that your class teacher may choose to teach something slightly different*
You will be studying 3 units overall.
Love Through The Ages
- Three hour written exam, worth 40% of A level
(Studied in Year 12; mock exam at the end of year 12 will be a full Love Through the Ages 3 hour paper)
Study of three texts: The Taming of the Shrew or another play by Shakespeare, Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte or another pre-1900 novel, and post-1900 poetry anthology. Examination will also include two unseen poems.
Modern Times: Literature From 1945 to the Present Day
- 2.5 hour written exam, worth 40% of A level
(Studied in Year 13)
Study of three texts: The Handmaid’s Tale by Margaret Atwood or another novel, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof by Tennessee Williams or another play, and Feminist Gospels by Carol Ann Duffy or another post-2000 text
Coursework: Independent Critical Study: Texts Across Time
- One extended essay, worth 20% of A level
(Begun in Year 12, completed in Year 13)
Comparative critical study of two texts of your choice, one of which must have been written pre-1900
The Assessment Objectives (AO)
- AO1: Articulate informed, personal and creative responses to literary texts, using associated concepts and terminology, and coherent, accurate written expression.
- AO2: Analyse ways in which meanings are shaped in literary texts.
- AO3: Demonstrate understanding of the significance and influence of the contexts in which literary texts are written and received.
- AO4: Explore connections across literary texts.
- AO5: Explore literary texts informed by different interpretations.