A Level Music
COURSE OVERVIEW- EDEXCEL
Performing 30% of the qualification- 60 marks
- A public performance of one or more pieces, performed as a recital.
- Performance can be playing or singing solo, in an ensemble, improvising.
- The total performance time across all pieces must be a minimum of 8 minutes.
Composing 30% of the qualification- 60 marks
- Total of two compositions, one to a brief set by Pearson and one either free Composition or also to a brief.
- Total time across both submissions must be 6 minutes.
Appraising Written examination: 2 hours 40% of the qualification 100 marks
- One written paper of 2 hours, with a total of 100 marks.
This paper comprises two sections: A and B; Section A: Areas of study and dictation (50 marks); Section B: Extended response
Two essay questions – essay one (20 marks) and essay two (30 marks): Essay one asks students to draw links from their study of the set works to the music heard as an unfamiliar extract; Essay two gives a choice of three questions that ask students to evaluate the musical elements, context and language of one set work.
COURSE OUTLINE – YEAR 12
- 6 Areas of Study covered over the year with 3 set works in each plus wider listening. (2 per term- 3 lessons per week on each with different teacher)
- One composition practise task for each Area of Study
COURSE OUTLINE – YEAR 13
- Revision of all 6 Areas of Study and Set Works – approx. 4 weeks on each
- Two Final Composition Tasks – written and recorded- 2 terms on each
- Two Performances (Mock and Final Exam)- prepared outside lessons
The Music Department runs a large number of different ensembles and organizes a huge number of events to cater for a variety of musical interests.
- String Orchestra
- Symphonic Wind Band
- Senior Choir
- Vocal Consort
- Chamber Orchestra
- Intermediate Choir
- Intermediate Orchestra
- Swing Band
- Barbershop Quartet
- Clarinet & Flute Ensembles
- Guitar Ensemble
- Percussion Group
- String Quartet
Events and Activities
- GLA Service of remembrance at City Hall
- Christmas Concert at Goldsmiths College
- Carol Service in Southwark Cathedral
- Spring & Summer Concerts
- School Musical Production
- Visits to concerts and workshops in London
- National Festival of Music for YoutTours abroad (Barcelona in 2016)